Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Blogfest

Whew! Third blogfest of the month! I feel like I haven't been to see enough of the other awesome entries from I'm Hearing Voices and Origins yet, but I plan to keep visiting blogs for the rest of the week . . . in the hopes of halfway catching up. Thank you Cassie Mae and Hope, for today's Valentine's Day Blog Hop!

Here's my entry. It's not very hot, and yet I squirmed through writing it. Don't ask me how I can have an awesome marriage to a hot, sweet guy, and yet I can't really write romance . . . I just think it's better lived than written, but I keep trying to write it anway . . . I know every good story has at least a little romance in it . . . at least the ones I read so here goes:



The crow’s nest was too cramped for anything but companionable closeness. Clara felt Adrian’s hand on her shoulder, and she fought the impulse to lean into it. She gripped the rail as if her life depended on it.


“Are you scared of heights?” he asked, too close to her ear.


She startled and felt herself blush, as a tingly thrill ran through her. She swallowed quickly and said, “No, I’ve always dreamed of flying. In Skycliff I liked to stand on the ramparts above the cliffs and watch the gulls soar on the winds.” Then she stiffened her shoulders slightly, and tried to keep her eyes on the horizon. “To be up here is a privilege I don’t want to lose.”


“Clara,” he said, “you could at least look at me.”


Clara turned and gazed up into his green eyes. “You are strange, and wonderful, and amazing. But we just met, and I have duties to fulfill.”


“You think I’m wonderful, and amazing?” he said, smiling broadly.


She could feel heat run through her, and fire up her cheeks. She tried to misdirect him. “Do you have Captain Crannock’s permission to be here?”


“No.”


“Then, you’re distracting me from my duties.”


“Oh, like seeing that griffin pair on the horizon,” he said, pointing behind her.


“Where?” she said, trying to twist around to see, but he held her close to him.


“Just trust me,” he said, and he kissed her gently, his lips warm like cinnamon.



Happy Valentine's Day!!!!


5 comments:

Emily R. King said...

I could picture them all snuggled together. Nice!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As long as they don't hit an iceberg they'll be all right!

Tyrean Martinson said...

E.R. King - Thanks!

Alex - Hmm. Maybe that would be a good way to break up this scene so I can move onto the action again. LOL

Karen Lange said...

It is hard to write, but I thought you did well. Glad you shared it with us!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Karen - Thank you!!!