Friday, July 8, 2011

Getting Outside: Going to the Zoo

Tigers, leopard cubs, and elephants, oh my!

Today we are off to the zoo with friends. Our local zoo, the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium located in Point Defiance Park is a highly recognized zoo for the way that it treats the animals, and its visitors.

A full, one way circuit of the zoo is 2.5 miles . . . if we don't go zig-zagging from one place to another for any reason. Usually we zig zag, so it's a great way to get some walking exercise for everyone.

When my kids were little, we used to go there weekly for a good, outdoor walk/dash/chase. My oldest daughter loves to sit and watch the sharks in the aquarium, and founded her love of marine biology there. My youngest has been drawn the big cats, especially the tigers, but she is also fascinated by the aquarium. The touch tank there is small, but it is the best one we've ever visited. Now, that they are older, they attend zoo camp once a year, and learn about animal care, research, and conservation in small groups of 10-12 kids with fun, experienced teachers.

Today is just about fun, getting outside, and going dewy-eyed over leopard cubs.

Do you have any favorite places to get outside and play?




On my exercise and health track: I've walk-jogged 11 miles so far this week and plan to get in 2-4 today, plus I've logged 1/2 mile while swimming. And I've been eating salads every day.



Scripture Blessings:

"Now, where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17


Go, Be Free, Get Outside, and Praise God for His awesome creation!

5 comments:

Karen Lange said...

I like to walk on our property (we have 5 acres) and I also enjoy heading to our local park to walk. Walking helps me clear the cobwebs out, plus there's the added bonus of burning calories!
Have a great weekend,
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As soon as it's not in the nineties and humid, I'll go outside!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Karen - That sounds lovely! I agree that walking clears the cobwebs, and I've found recently that swimming laps does that and relaxes all my muscles. Have a great weekend!

Alex - nineties and humid - eww. I understand, although I've found dry heat to be exhausting, humid heat is just sticky. Last year we visited D.C. thanks to the generosity of some friends and we ended up sweating at 10a.m. waiting to see the Constitution. After noon, we just stayed inside as much as possible. Hope you get a chance to get outside sometime soon!

Carol Riggs said...

How fun! I haven't gone to the zoo in ages. I usually go on walks around the block. Something to get me away from the computer!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Carol - walks around the block are great too! Anything to take a screen break now and then is good!