Sunday, May 23, 2010

Filling up the Bucket One Drop at a Time

Have you ever filled up a bucket one drop at a time?

I remember doing something like that when I was a kid, except I think I was filling a glass. It was fun for a while. Then it became work, then I got bored.

I have struggled with my writing for almost a month now. However, I keep writing. I keep blogging, and reading blogs that inspire me with hope, confidence, and great ideas.

Each of these is like a drop, or sometimes several that keep filling my bucket of writing with hope. However, some days it feels like work, and some days I get bored.

Then I receive an awesome award! Or get a paypal payment for my writing! Those moments are like gushes of water that give my bucket a extra filler.

And then it's back to one drop at a time, one day at a time.

My faith life works the same way. There are days when I feel an outpouring of God's love in my life, and days when I feel like there is just a trickle, or a drop.

Is a drop enough?

Yes.

Today, my church is going out into our community, serving in 40 different areas, with 300+ volunteers for Go. Do. Likewise., an event meant to celebrate what it means to be a drop of hope in the bucket of suffering around us.

We can't solve all the problems. Only God can do that.

But we can be like the Good Samaritan, and help one person.

We can be a drop in the bucket.

Thankfully, with God working in us and through us, there is a chance that He will fill the bucket to overflowing, so that His love will pour out over many people's hearts today.

So, what does this have to do with my writing?

I keep trying to put it in God's hands. One day at a time. One word at a time.

One drop in the bucket towards publishable writing.

It may not be much, but I know my bucket will fill eventually.

You have all been a drop in my bucket of hope, and I hope I have been one in yours.

Romans 5:5 "And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

1 comment:

Karen Lange said...

Yes, I agree. One word at a time, one drop at a time, one day at a time.
Blessings,
Karen